progress...

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Black Bean Burgers

Marble Man and I are still following our diet plans, as well as attempting to save some cash at the grocery store. Vegetarian meals seem like the best bet for meeting both of those goals. These Jamaican-flavored black bean burgers are really delicious, AND they look like beef burgers on the plate! It's kind of freaky how good they look... and then that first bite is a symphony of flavors. I guarantee, you'll be hooked on them once you try them.


Black Bean Burgers
serves: 8

2 T olive oil
1 1/2 C chopped onion
2 -3 cloves minced garlic
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 C black beans, drained
1 1/2 C cooked rice
a few dashes of tabasco sauce
1 C plain bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
black pepper

Heat 1 T oil and saute the onions, stirring until they soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, allspice and nutmeg and saute for two more minutes.

Pour into a food processor along with beans, rice, and tobasco sauce. Pulse repeatedly until mixture is chopped, not pureed.

Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Shape into 8 patties and fry in remaining 1 T oil over medium heat, about 4 minutes per side.

Enjoy!

copyright 2009 What's Cooking?

5 comments:

  1. I print these out. I'll soon have my own Shibori Girl Cookbook! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can always count on you to offer great dinner ideas...that taste good, too! this one looks like another winner! congrats to you and marble man for sticking with it....i know it's not easy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like seconds of the veggies on the side, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos! My Favorite Guy is having some horrible stomach stuff going on now, perhaps he will now join me in my vedic vegetarian meals. I'm going to propose this recipe as an intro. Who doesn't like beans?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm following a new regime and these burgers look perfect. Thanks for sharing such healthy recipes.

    Did you see the 2nd Annual Mad Tea Party hosted by Vanessa at A Fanciful Twist? I do hope you can attend. It will be a reunion!

    xoxo k

    ReplyDelete